The succession is made up of the mixed alluvial–lacustrine–lagoonal Hastings Beds Group below and the predominantly lacustrine–lagoonal Weald Clay Group above.
Deposition was strongly influenced by tectonism amongst surrounding massifs, and the warm to hot, periodically wet Wealden climate.
In 1877, An infectious hospital was erected at the east of the site. The site layout is shown on the 1898 OS map: Eastbourne workhouse site, 1898. The buildings were demolished in 1990 and the site now contains a housing development.
By the early 1900s, the Eastbourne Union had established a children's home at 2-4 Birling Street, Eastbourne.
William Pelham belonged to a generation bought up with some knowledge of Renaissance ideas, of which the keenest follower was the young prince himself, later Henry VIII, whose near contemporary William was.
It was in Henry's Court circle that the influence of Italy made its first tentative appearance, partly in rivalry with the equally Renaissance monarch, Francois I of France.
It is all that survives of a house that existed from the 13th century until the 1950s, undergoing many alterations and rebuildings on the way.
A chapel dating from about 1857 stood at the centre. In 1927-8, a new ward block was built on the site of the old chapel.
In 1817, the Eastbourne Guardians established a workhouse on Church Street in rented premises that had been built as a barracks during the Napoleonic war. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 17 in number, representing its 14 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): County of Sussex: Alfriston, Eastbourne (3), East Dean, West Dean, Folkington, Friston, Jevington, Littlington [Litlington], Lullington, Pevensey, Seaford (2), Westham, Willingdon, Wilmington.
Seaford's parish workhouse was located on Blatchington Road on the site of the medieaval leper hospital of St John's. Later Additions: Alciston (from 1898), Berwick (from 1898), Hampden Park (1911-12), Norway (1894-99), Selmeston (from 1898).
Geological Conservation Review sites within the Weald district are dominated by inland sites, but also include extensive coastal cliff and foreshore exposures near Hastings, East Sussex.
The Wealden strata have been documented and interpreted since the earliest days of geological enquiry in Great Britain.